Anne Hathaway responds to plastic surgery speculation: 'It's just two braids'

Anne Hathaway responds to plastic surgery speculation: 'It's just two braids'

Anne Hathaway has weighed in on relentless online commentary questioning whether she has undergone cosmetic surgery.

The 43-year-old actor spoke about the speculation in an interview with Elle, explaining that the public discussion around her face had become "distracting."

Earlier this year, after face-lift rumours began flooding social media, Hathaway posted an Instagram video showing how her hairstylist had created two hidden braids near her temples to give her eye area "a little extra lift."NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 20: Anne Hathaway attends Louis Vuitton Cruise 2027 at the Frick Collection on May 20, 2026 in New York City. (Photo by TheStewartofNY/WireImage)

In the interview, the Oscar winner addressed the video, clarifying that while it wasn't intended as a aggressive or "pointed" denial, she did want to clear the air.

"These are huge medical decisions that people are presuming," Hathaway said. "I wanted to show that like, no, I didn't make a huge medical decision. It's just two braids."

The Devil Wears Prada star admitted she would normally ignore public scrutiny altogether, but the noise had simply become too loud.

READ MORE: Meet the Aussie heiresses set to inherit billions

READ MORE: Prince William shares rare update on Kate following cancer battle

READ MORE: Viral YouTube star announces death of teenage son

"We're at a time when people feel very confident in assuming what they think is fact, and sometimes what they think is accurate and sometimes it's not," she said.

"My preference would be to never comment on anything and to just live in the mystery and not draw attention to myself, but the speculation has gotten so loud that you do feel the need to just get your truth out there."Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway are back for Devil Wears Prada 2

Hathaway also admitted she wrestled with whether breaking her silence via the Instagram post was the right move.

"And I'll probably always wonder, 'Should I have posted that or not? Should I have just kept going and done the thing that makes me happy and makes me feel more confident on the red carpet?'" she said. "But I felt like the conversation was becoming distracting."

While Hathaway denied undergoing surgery, she made it clear she isn't anti-procedure, adding, "... I might still get a facelift someday."

The interview comes after Hathaway made a rare public appearance with husband Adam Shulman at Louis Vuitton's Cruise 2027 fashion show in New York.Adam Shulman and Anne Hathaway at the Louis Vuitton 2027 Cruise Collection Show on May 20, 2026 in New York, New York. (Photo by John Nacion/WWD via Getty Images)

She donned a loose-fitting look from the label's Fall 2026 collection, designed by artistic director Nicolas Ghesquière.

She accessorised the outfit with jewellery from Bulgari's Serpenti collection, including a diamond-encrusted gold necklace valued at $27,600 USD, hoop earrings worth $5650 USD and a bracelet priced at $13,700 USD.

Hathaway completed the look with oversized sunglasses, black pumps and a monogrammed miniature trunk handbag.Amy Adams, Anna Wintour, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt at the Louis Vuitton 2027 Cruise Collection Show on May 20, 2026 in New York, New York. (Photo by Lexie Moreland/WWD via Getty Images)

FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in celebrity, lifestyle and opinion via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.